Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thank You, Les Paul

I just learned of the passing of Les Paul today. It's hard to really describe the contribution he has made to the music we all hear and enjoy. The articles that are coming out make mention of the solid body electric guitar. That covers a whole lot of modern music. There's also mention of reverb. It might not be the most used guitar effect used today, but it had its heyday. I'm not sure, but that might have opened the door to the possibilities of changing the guitar's signal in the myriad ways that can be done today. There's the mention of multitrack recording that he pioneered/invented. That is a recording industry staple today. It might not be using the precise technology that he created, but software based multitrack recording is really just a software copy of a concept he pioneered. Rock music is frequently cited in the list of "beneficiaries" of Les Paul's technological legacy, but I would imagine there isn't very much music today that was not recorded using ideas that Les Paul found a way to make work. Hotel California is a really good example of the technology in use with it's 10 separate guitar parts overdubbed onto one recording. Another good example that will probably not be mentioned is an artist like Enya, who records herself performing every instrument and voice part on the recording. I would imagine everything under the sun in popular music owes a debt of gratitude to Les Paul for this technology that they likely take for granted.

The articles that are coming out always mention the Gibson Les Paul guitar. Appropriately so, this guitar is iconic. It is one of the most recognizable images, and likely one of the guitars that people imagine when they think of electric guitars. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful guitars made. I would love to have a really nice one, just to look at. I'd pull it down and play it too, but I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of displaying it like the piece of art that it is.

Les Paul is an amazing guitar talent. He performed music from a very early age, almost to the day he died. Just an enjoyable person and artist. I never had the opportunity to see him play, but I am greatful for being able to see and hear what I have from various recordings and videos. I know that I will probably discover a lot of "new" Les Paul music for years to come, from old 45s that my parents might still have to youtube treasures like this.


Something that I appreciate, and I lack the words to express properly, is that he lived a good life. He wasn't famous, or infamous, for anything but his accomplishments. It is good to see an icon pass that made it 94 years. No bizarre drug related death. No need for an autopsy. No questions. Complications from pneumonia. There's always reason to be sad with the passing of a living legend, but with Les Paul there isn't the sadness of a misspent life. He was a guiding light for music from the beginning to the end. Thank you, Les Paul. I hope I can shake your hand on the other side.

No comments: